Focus is hard.
We get distracted. Easily settle in ruts. Get comfortable. Lose track of what really matters. Once you go through these cycles enough number of times, you realize that it is not really that hard. It doesn’t have to be all that hard. All you have to do is focus on the 1%. For most things in life, there is only the 1% that really counts. The rest is noise. Just distractions. Any written text – there is the 1% that really matters which conveys real meaning, the rest is just words. People around you – only 1% really matter, the rest are just there.
Focus on the 1%. Don’t add to things- instead take away from things. Ruthlessly prioritize. Do what really matters – forget about the rest of the 99%.
To make it easier, ask these three questions at any decision point:
- Is this taking me towards or away from my goals?
- Is this in line with my fundamental principles and values?
- Is this helping me create value for myself and the people close to me?
Don’t get the right answer on even one of these – kill it. Let it slash and burn. Move on.
Every time. The 1%. Occam’s Razor.